The below are the rules that avoid most common mistakes made by sports gamblers. Follow these 8 basic rules and you will find your sports betting balance growing quickly:
1. Never, no matter what, bet more than you can afford to lose.
2. Always bet no more than 2.5% to 3.5% of your balance per wager. For example, if your wagering account balance is $1,000.00. You would not bet more than $25.00 or $35.00 per bet.
3. Only increase the amount you bet per wager once you have increased your balance by 25%. For example, if your starting balance was $1,000.00 you would bet $25.00 per bet until you reached $1,250.00. At this point you would increase the amount you wager per bet to $31.00 per wager. You would continue to wager $31.00 per bet until your balance increased again by 25% (when it hit $1,560.00).
4. Never decrease the amount you wager per contest. This is a sure fire recipe for dissaster.
5. Always play the same amount on every wager. In other words, do NOT play $25.00 on one game and $15.00 on another game. Bet 2.5% of your balance on every play you make.
6. Do not play parlays. Parlays have great payouts, but the odds of winning and the Return on Investment (ROI%) can be poor. If you want to play a parlay for the potential big payout, play less than 1% of your balance on the parlay.
7. Track your Return on Investment (ROI%). Return on Investment is a mathematic formula that tells you how much money you win for every dollar that you bet. For example if your ROI% is 50%, then for every $1.00 you bet you win $0.50 (or for every $100.00 you bet, you win $50.00). ROI% is expressed as a percentage and is figured by dividing the total amount of your winnings by the total amount you have wagered.
8. Track your ROI% on each sport individually. You will learn your strengths and weaknesses.